Hey guys! A lot of people told me how much they liked my previous post about back vs. backless bar stools, and that they would like to find out more about that subject.
Well, as I was reading all of your comments, I realized I didn’t say anything about the materials they use for these furniture pieces. So today, that’s exactly what I will talk about – the best fabric for bar stools.
So in the following lines, I will analyze 4 of the most common fabrics that companies use for kitchen bar stools. Most of the bar stools I came across are made of one of these fabrics, so I say I will pretty much cover everything.
In case I don’t and you want to know about another certain material used for bar stools, please write a comment below and I will gladly answer you. So…let’s begin! 😀
1. Wooden Bar Stools
Even though wood is by far the #1 choice in most furniture pieces, when it comes to bar stools things are a bit different.
Wood isn’t necessarily the most popular fabric for this kind of items. That’s because bar stools are regarded as more modern furniture pieces, and wood isn’t really the most popular fabric in modern furniture.
So most companies that produce bar stools prefer to use other fabrics, that look and feel more contemporary than the classic wood.
However, things aren’t that bad for wooden fabrics. From what I’ve seen, there are still enough companies that use this material for bar stools…And even though there isn’t such a wide range of models as far metal bar stools, the loves of wooden fabrics still have a lot of options to choose from.
- Can match absolutely any colors and items
- They aren’t very hard to find in furniture shops
- Really easy to clean, with any regular furniture products
- The quality is usually pretty good, which means that they last in good shape around 3-4 years on average
- They are usually more comfortable than other kinds of bar stools
- You can’t find them in so many colors and models
- They may look a bit old fashioned, so they wouldn’t be the best choice in a modern kitchen
- Might cost a bit more, depending of the quality of wood
2. Metal Bar Stools
Metal may not be among the best fabrics for furniture, but it is definitely the best when it comes to bar stools.
The thing that makes metal fabrics so popular in bar stools is probably their industrial look. And you know that Industrial style is very in fashion right now… So metal bar stools look very cool and modern, much more than wooden bar stools for example.
Even though I’m not a huge fan of metal fabrics or Industrial style, I confess that when it comes to bar stools, I really like this material. And it would probably be my #1 choice…
Why? Because, even though metal fabrics don’t look so good on regular furniture, they look amazing on bar stools. So I would say that metal is made for bar stools, just like wood is made for normal furniture. That’s my explanation. 😀
- Metal is the most popular fabric in bar stools, because it looks better than anything else
- There are a lot of patterns and models available
- The average prices are pretty affordable, lower than for wooden bar stools
- Pretty much blend with any other items
- The quality is not as high as for wooden stools so they won’t last as much as them
- May be a bit too rough, especially the ones with a back
3. Rattan Bar Stools
If you read some of my previous posts, you may remember that rattan is among one of the trends of this year in furniture. That’s the reason why rattan bar stools were created.
Because, let’s face it, this kind of bar stools will never become a trend themselves. In my opinion, they won’t even become very popular either…
I did notice several types of rattan bar stools in some online shops, but most of them had very few sales or reviews. So until now, rattan bar stools remain just an option for bar stools fabrics…but not a very good one, in my opinion.
- Very original, as very few people have seen bar stools made of this fabric
- The average prices are pretty good, just like other rattan furniture pieces
- They make any room look more fresh and natural
- You don’t have too many options available for this kind of bar stools
- If it gets stained, rattan is harder to clean than wood or metal
- The quality isn’t amazing, so I would give them a durability of 3 years at most
4. Aluminium Bar Stools
Even though they are used more often outdoors, aluminium bar stools remain one of the most popular choices among people of all ages.
I actually know a lot of people who use aluminium stools in their kitchen, which is inside not outside. So this means they are still pretty popular even for indoors.
What I like about this fabric is that it keeps everything simple and in only one shade. You will never see aluminium bar stools in 2 colors, and you will very rarely see aluminium bar stools that are not white or grey. So for the lovers of Minimalism, this fabric is definitely the best choice.
- They will match any kind of furniture, in any color
- The prices are probably the lowest among all types of bar stools
- Very easy to clean, usually just with water 😉
- I’m not a big fan of their look, because they seem pretty cheap
- The quality is also the lowest from all types of bar stools
- Most of them are pretty light
My Final Verdict – Which Is The Best Fabric For Bar Stools?
It’s true that it’s pretty hard to choose, considering that there’s something I like about each of these 4 types of fabrics.
I would exclude rattan from the start, because it’s one of those fabrics that is just coming around and to be honest, I don’t even think it’s too suitable for bar stools.
The next one that I would let go would be aluminium, thanks to its cheap look (at least that’s how I see it). It may be the perfect fabric for outdoor furniture, but when it comes to indoors, I don’t really think it’s the best. It can look good in certain situations, but in most bar stools it doesn’t seem amazing.
And now…it’s time to choose the winner.
I personally love wood in any kind of furniture, and bar stools make no exception. But I simply like metal fabric a bit more in this case. 😀
Bar stools in kitchens are a pretty new thing, so metal is the fabric that looks more “new” and contemporary. And even though wood is and will remain a classic of furniture, when it comes to bar stools…I prefer metal.
So that’s my final verdict – metal is the best fabric for bar stools. At least in my opinion 🙂
Now tell me what you think. Which is your favorite fabric for bar stools? Is it metal, wood, aluminium or rattan? Or maybe, another one that I haven’t included here?