Either you’re living in an apartment or in a house, there are high chances that your living room isn’t a very spacious place, so you might feel discouraged when it comes to choosing the right decorations.
It’s definitely true that decorating a small living room can be quite a difficult problem to solve. This is because the living room is a place for the whole family, so the lack of space can be pretty frustrating.
However, there is a solution to every problem, and this case is no exception. Here are several small living room decorating ideas, that will make it look not only bigger, but also extremely comfortable.
And don’t worry, there isn’t a standard way to decorate a small living room, so if you don’t like something about a style, you can change it however you want and decorate it according to your own taste.
The most important thing is to follow the main ideas, that will transform your small living room into a cheerful, spacious room, perfect for family conversations.
TIPS FOR SMALL LIVING ROOMS
Here are the most important things to do if you’re trying to decorate your small living room
Choose a light color for the walls
The best thing you can do when it comes to choosing the color for your living room is deciding on a light shade, either white, pastel or beige. This will not only expand the room, but it will also make it look fresh and relaxing.
If, however, you think that a light color isn’t the right thing for you, you might like a combination between verdancy and white or pastel shades.
Green would go very well for curtains and paintings, while the light colors could be a great choice for the walls. In this way, your living room will have a fresh, natural look.
In case you want an unusual design, you could paint one wall in a darker tone and let the others remain in a light color. This will surely impress.
Another idea for people who aren’t huge fans of white walls is the combination between beige for the walls and dark blue for the decorations. This will make your living room seem more spacious and will create a beautiful contrast between the walls and the furniture and decorations.
Reduce the number of furniture pieces
Many accessories and furniture pieces could easily decrease the already narrow space. That’s why, you should keep only the essential.
This doesn’t mean that you have to choose a minimalist style, not at all, you only have to keep the most important things so that you give the impression of bigger space.
A small sofa, a coffee table and a few shelves are enough when it comes to a small living room’s furniture. Of course that there is no certain rule, you can add or remove any other things, this depends of your room’s dimensions. The important is to keep as little things as you need to prevent your room from seeming overcrowded.
Go for small, simple furniture
It’s really important to choose your furniture’s dimensions according to your living room’s proportions. Even though a bigger sofa is much more comfortable and appealing, it will make your room lose a lot of important space. This is why a smaller couch would be just perfect.
Also, if you want to gain more space, you should consider choosing a type of sofa without arms, as there are a lot in every furniture shop. The table and the other objects should also be as small as possible if you want a spacious look (here is an example of a small table, that would make your narrow room look perfect).
Don’t overcrowd the floor
This is one of the most common mistakes people make when they’re dealing with lack of space: even if they don’t do it on purpose, they end up filling up all the free space with unimportant things, which makes it seem extremely crowded.
This thing happens most of all on the floor, because this is the most common place people use to deposit everything.
So, try to let the floor empty as much as you can, going instead for a vertical storing. Also, try buying furniture pieces with feet, that will make your room seem bigger and also more elegant.
The coffee table should also have feet and medium dimensions, and if you manage to choose the right color, it would look more than fantastic. Here’s an example of what coffee table would be suitable for this kind of room.
If you have a low ceiling, use a wallpaper
Low ceilings are a very common problem for people with small living rooms. Like it wasn’t enough that they are small, they also have a low ceiling that makes them look even smaller.
However, the solution is to use a wallpaper with vertical stripes, that gives a feeling of higher room. If you’re not a fan of wallpapers, there’s a simpler solution: use a big painting on one of the walls, as this will help you attract the attention on it instead of the low ceiling.
Mirrors expand small rooms
This is a great trick for people who have small houses, as it can be used in every single room. In case you didn’t know, a mirror placed on the opposite wall, face to face to the window, can easily increase the dimensions of the room, by reflecting the natural light.
Of course that you shouldn’t exaggerate and place 5 mirrors all over your room, but placing a big one in the right spot will definitely bring you a lot of benefits.
Get more lighting fixtures
Even if you believe that a lamp is enough for your small living room, a lot of light can actually change the whole room.
This is why, you shouldn’t stop once you find out the perfect lighting. You can also add some lamps, reading lamps or even a torchere. They will all make your room shiny and more spacious.
Give up hard curtains
No matter how beautiful cotton curtains are, the only thing they do is to take away some of the little space your room has, and you definitely don’t want this.
If you can do without them, very good, but most people don’t, so a great solution would be to replace hard curtains with the ones made from delicate textiles, such as sheer fabric. Also, it’s really important to choose a light color, allowing light to enter the room.
Small living room ideas
If you look at the decorating tips from above, you will see that most of them are found in this picture:
- The walls have a light color, beige, which is combined with a dark brown
- The furniture is quite simple, the sofa has feet and no arms, the coffee table is also pretty small and the number of pieces isn’t too high
- The floor isn’t too overcrowded with accessories or anything else
- In this case the ceiling isn’t very low, so there’s no need of a wallpaper of painting
- There are several lighting fixtures
- Curtains are made of a fine material, letting the light enter the room
The common elements between this living room and the theoretical decorating ideas are:
- One of the walls is covered by a wallpaper in a darker color, while the others have a light shade (This isn’t visible in the picture, but the other walls are like the one from the right)
- The furniture isn’t extremely simple, but it’s not massive and doesn’t have many pieces
- The sofa only has one arm, and it also has feet
- The carpet is also very simple and doesn’t overcrowd the floor
- There’s a big lighting source
This minimalist small living room is well decorated because of:
- The color that dominates the room is white, and there are some red and grey accents
- The furniture is very simple, basically there’s only a 3 piece sofa and a coffee table
- Both sofa and coffee table have feet, so the floor doesn’t seem too crowded
- There isn’t anything else on the pavement
- The room has a very low ceiling, so it’s covered by a wallpaper with vertical stripes; there is also a painting with a woman that grabs the attention, instead of letting it focus on the low ceiling
- Lighting fixtures are present
- The windows are big enough to allow a full penetration of the light and there are no curtains
This is an incredibly small living room, and even so, thanks to the nice manner in which it was decorated, it manages to look quite well. However, there are some elements that could be reduced:
- The walls are white and as an alternative color we have both beige and dark blue, which leads to a great contrast
- It’s true that the furniture pieces are a bit too many (a small table and a sofa would be enough), but they have feet so they’re not seated directly on the floor
- The decorations are also too many, some are right on the floor which makes it seem a bit crowded
- There are two big mirrors, which quite expand the room
- There is also a window (which you can see reflected in the left mirror), which helps the light enter the room
- The two reading lamps are also increasing the space, thanks to their light
If you’re having a hard time decorating your small living room, keep in mind that there are some small tips that could make a huge difference.
Choosing a light wall color and going just for the essentials are the basic steps, but doing this isn’t always enough. Simple furniture pieces, that have feet can also improve your room’s aspect, especially because they won’t overcrowd the floor, giving a feeling of more space.
Wallpapers make miracles for low ceilings, and mirrors are a great choice if you want to give the feeling of larger space. Adding more lighting fixtures could also enlarge your room, but only if you go for light, thin curtains that would allow the light to enter.
If you listen to these tips, your room will definitely look much more spacious and I bet you’ll receive a lot of compliments from your visitors. 😉
I really hope that my post was of any use to you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to write a comment and I will answer you as soon as I can. 🙂